turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chrfuc

I lived WI 1/2018 to 8/1 made $11,663. I did my WI state return, shows taxable income of $30,294. I lived and made $27,321 in Montana Aug - Dec taxable $31,734 Why?

I don't understand why my deductions are coming off Wisconsin gross income of $38,754, which is the Federal amount and not the actual amount I earned in Wisconsin while I lived there.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I lived WI 1/2018 to 8/1 made $11,663. I did my WI state return, shows taxable income of $30,294. I lived and made $27,321 in Montana Aug - Dec taxable $31,734 Why?

It is the way Wisconsin calculates tax on part-year income.  Wisconsin is not taxing all of that income.  However, Wisconsin pretends that all of your income is taxable according to Wisconsin law (and your full deductions are also claimed according to Wisconsin law), the tax is calculated on that amount, and then the calculation is prorated to the amount of income actually earned in Wisconsin.  You should see a percentage calculated on the Wisconsin nonresident return that represents the difference between all of your income and what was earned specifically in Wisconsin.

However, not all of your income will actually be taxed in Wisconsin. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It is the way Wisconsin calculates tax on part-year income.  Wisconsin is not taxing all of that income.  However, Wisconsin pretends that all of your income is taxable according to Wisconsin law (and your full deductions are also claimed according to Wisconsin law), the tax is calculated on that amount, and then the calculation is prorated to the amount of income actually earned in Wisconsin.  You should see a percentage calculated on the Wisconsin nonresident return that represents the difference between all of your income and what was earned specifically in Wisconsin.

However, not all of your income will actually be taxed in Wisconsin. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies