turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shwSBY

I live in MD and my police officer disability pension is from DE. Does the police officer disability pension adjustments apply to me?

I'm trying to find out if this, in TurboTax, where it asks, "Law Enforcement Worker and Firefighter Disability Pension" applies to me. I can't seem to find a clear answer on this. If it does apply then it appears that Maryland does not include a portion or all of my pension as income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I live in MD and my police officer disability pension is from DE. Does the police officer disability pension adjustments apply to me?

According to the Instructions for Maryland Form 502, this subtraction from income is available for "Payments from a pension system to firemen and policemen for job related injuries or disabilities (but not more than the amount of such payments included in your total income)." See page 15, under Code Letter a. 

Nowhere does it specify that this pension must be sourced in Maryland. You would be entitled to this subtraction if you are receiving such a disability pension, no matter which state it is from.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

According to the Instructions for Maryland Form 502, this subtraction from income is available for "Payments from a pension system to firemen and policemen for job related injuries or disabilities (but not more than the amount of such payments included in your total income)." See page 15, under Code Letter a. 

Nowhere does it specify that this pension must be sourced in Maryland. You would be entitled to this subtraction if you are receiving such a disability pension, no matter which state it is from.

shwSBY

Thank you so much!
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies