01jane15

I live in an assisted living retirement facility with medical care. Can I deduct expenses for this facility?

PatriciaV

Yes, the portion of the monthly fees specifically for medical care are deductible as Medical Expenses on Schedule A (Itemized Deductions). The allocated portion would be entered as medical facility fees (see screenshot below - click to enlarge).

The easiest way to find this section of TurboTax is to open your return and use the Search box at the top right side of the TurboTax header. Click on the magnifying glass, type in "medical expenses", hit Enter, and click on "jump to medical expenses" to go directly to beginning of this topic.

Or go to My Account >> Tools >> Topic Search. Type in "medical expenses", then click the topic in the list to go directly to the start of this section.

(If you are using the mobile app and don't have My Account or Tools on your screen, try logging into TurboTax from a laptop or desktop browser.)

**Join us for our "All about the refund" event, sign up here

PatriciaV

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~