Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I keep attempting to enter both my spouse and my SSA-1099 SM, but Turbo tax won't let me enter any information. No form pops up for entry of my info... What gives?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I keep attempting to enter both my spouse and my SSA-1099 SM, but Turbo tax won't let me enter any information. No form pops up for entry of my info... What gives?

Please see the steps here Where do I enter an SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM, or SSA-1099 ... Those can be tricky!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The answer given does not address the question asked . . .  

I have the same problem.

Following the steps suggested does not solve the problem 

I can enter all my SSA1099 entries but the box 5 provided for my spouse does NOT allow entry of data.

Other boxes for spouse do appear to accept entries.

What is the problem??

The form statement "If you have more than one, add up the amounts for each box." is totally unclear - should I combine my SSA-1099 with my spouse's??? Or is it for a combination of several of mine only??

Providing the spouse fields suggests that direction is not the logical answer.

Help please!!

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If one taxpayer – you, for example – has more than one Form SSA-1099, you should add up the amounts for each box from each form when making entries into the TurboTax program.

Don’t combine your entries and your spouse’s.

If this isn’t helpful, perhaps try deleting both of your SSA-1099s and starting over again.

To delete Form SSA-1099 in TurboTax Online, open your return in TurboTax and: 

1. If you’re on the Hi TurboTax Client, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, with Personal Info, Income & Expenses, etc. beneath, and none of those are open, click the dropdown next to any of the categories, then click the Review/Edit or Pick up where you left off button.  Otherwise,

2. In the left pane, select Tax Tools

3. Then, under that, select Tools

4. In the Tool Center pop-up, select Delete a form

5. Select Delete next to Form SSA-1099 in the list and follow the onscreen instructions.

@peteralexus

Thank you so much for your help.

Delete and start again did fix my problem - I can now enter spouse's data without difficulty.

[As an aside, I was able to enter data for both self & spouse via the forms view of my SSA-1099 - but then beck at the step-by step view it had combined the two entries and loaded them into the spousal box 5 - so some bug in the code connecting step-by-step view and the form view. After seeing that I followed your advice with the delete form approach and all is fine.]

Thanks again for the rapid response!

mojo1880
Returning Member

I am have the same problem for 2023 in desktop TX Home and Business.  I have deleted the 1st SS and reentered and still can't add the spouse's SSA-1099

HELP

@mojo1880 wrote:

I am have the same problem for 2023 in desktop TX Home and Business.  I have deleted the 1st SS and reentered and still can't add the spouse's SSA-1099

HELP

Since you are using the desktop editions and if you are filing as Married Filing Jointly then you enter SS benefits from box 5 of your SSA-1099 in the column for your name and your spouse's benefits from box 5 of their SSA-1099 in the column for their name.

Otherwise click on Forms and then open the Social Sec worksheet on the left side of the Form screen.  Enter the amounts in the Social Security Benefits Worksheet.

Social Security 2.JPG

mojo1880
Returning Member

Thank you for responding. I tried the form, no problem with the 1st column, but the box for benefit amount on the spouse column does not let me enter anything.  It shows $0 and I can't remove or edit that amount. The boxes for Medicare deductions do accept numbers in both columns.

I will try again this weekend...perhaps there will be an update that resolves this problem.

In the box with $0 income double-click in that box and a Supporting Details window should open where you can enter the correct amount.  Or highlight the box and use Ctrl + I to open the Supporting Details window

mojo1880
Returning Member

Thank you, using supporting details does enter the data.

This issue  almost always happens because  you used a "Supporting Details"  (SD) sheet in that field in the prior year.   What happens is that when you transfer in the prior year's data, the SD sheet is transferred too, but empty...and that causes the $0 to show up in many areas of the Step-by-Step mode interview....wherever the SD sheet was used before.

But when switching to Forms Mode, when you try to enter a $$ amount in a field where the SD sheet is attached, the SD sheet will pop up immediately, and you can either enter the $$ amount on that sheet, or delete the SD sheet entirely and avoid future issues (unless you really want the SD sheet)

Sometimes, when you see the $0 in Step-by-Step, you can just

a)  double-click on the field and the SD sheet will pop up... that doesn't work in all cases.

b)  Another way is to click on the field, then go up to the menu..."<<Edit<<<Add Supporting Details"....then the SD sheet pops up and you can use it, or delete the SD sheet entirely and then the regular field will work properly.

or

c)  click on the problem field, then switch to Forms Mode to make that entry

BF20

that form does not come up on my screen. I receive a blank page. I go to search and type in SSA1099 and jump to page and it brings me back to the blank page. I deleted the whole program and reloaded it and it's still blank. 

@BF20 Are you using one of the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions for Windows?  If so, try this -

Save your tax return and close the TurboTax program

Right click on the TurboTax icon

Click on Properties

Click on the Compatibility tab

Check the box Run this program as an administrator

Click on Apply and OK

Start the TurboTax program again and see if the problem persists.

BF20

Yes, that fixed it. Thanks so 

BF20

much for your help, that got deleted somehow. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies