turbotax icon
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have the following questions regarding Employee Provident Fund (India) - IS EPF taxable in US? If yes then what portion? Only interest or even employers contribution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I have the following questions regarding Employee Provident Fund (India) - IS EPF taxable in US? If yes then what portion? Only interest or even employers contribution?

If you have a Provident Fund, I strongly suggest you work with a tax professional that is familiar with PFIC (Passive Foreign Investment Company) reporting. This is a very complex part of the tax law.

Please review this link for more information.

https://www.goldinglawyers.com/are-provident-funds-taxable-in-the-united-states-international-tax-la...

Assuming you are an Indian citizen, is the investment treated as being in a non-taxible retirement account by the USA-India tax treaty?  If so, then there is no need to worry about whether it is a PFIC.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies