I have the following questions regarding Employee Provident Fund (India) - IS EPF taxable in US? If yes then what portion? Only interest or even employers contribution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KarenJ

If you have a Provident Fund, I strongly suggest you work with a tax professional that is familiar with PFIC (Passive Foreign Investment Company) reporting. This is a very complex part of the tax law.

Please review this link for more information.

https://www.goldinglawyers.com/are-provident-funds-taxable-in-the-united-states-international-tax-la...

Assuming you are an Indian citizen, is the investment treated as being in a non-taxible retirement account by the USA-India tax treaty?  If so, then there is no need to worry about whether it is a PFIC.