Delete the Form 1099-R if you started to enter on that form.
To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099
- Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
- Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
- Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
- Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
- On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button
Or enter ssa-1099 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ssa-1099
I think you may be in the wrong section of the program. The SSA-1099 goes here:
Wages and Income > Retirement> Social Security
If you started to enter it a 1099-R in error, delete that first.