Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have received a Statement of Survivor Annuity Paid CSF1099R from the Office of Personnel Management. The taxable amount and Total Emp Contr. States Unknown. HELP

I'm completing my mother in Laws tax return who is 88. Her husband would have been 91 this year and she has been receiving this annuity since his passing 15 years ago. I don't know what to plug into the TurboTax fields. When researching this they talk about Simplified and General rule calculations vis Publication 721which is a 100 page long. HELP
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

I have received a Statement of Survivor Annuity Paid CSF1099R from the Office of Personnel Management. The taxable amount and Total Emp Contr. States Unknown. HELP

Yes, the Statement of Survivor Annuity Paid CSF1099R from the Office of Personnel Management looks a little different, but it is just another 1099-R. 

Due to the age of the original annuitant, the basis of the annuity should have been recovered already.

Here's how to enter it in TurboTax Online:

1. Open your return.
  2. Select Federal, then Wages & Income.
  3. Scroll down to IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), under Retirement Plans and Social Security, select Start or Revisit to the right.
  4. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-R in 2023? or if there's already one there, select Add 1099-R.
  5. Select Change how I enter my form.
  6. Upload the form using one of the options, or select Type it in myself.
  7. Select the  Office of Personnel Management (CSF1099R) tile, then Continue.
  8. Verify the next screen matches the form, then Continue.
  9. Fill in the next screen with the figures from your CSF1099-R. If any of your boxes say "Unknown" leave the box blank in TurboTax. 
  10. Answer the next few screens according to your situation.
  11. When you get to Describe the Taxable Amount, answer Yes, then Continue. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I went to Forms in My Return in TurboTax, then scrolled down to the OPM 1099-R.  At the top of that form, there is a line labeled "Source Form" which includes an option for CSF-1099-R.  When I checked that box, it automatically put the box 1 amount into box 2a, which is what I wanted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies