Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have inherited a Roth IRA that is less than 5 years old. The account is currently in the red (no gains on positions). If I liquidate and close, is this taxable?

Although not meeting the 5 year rule, Equity positions purchased are currently at a loss - with this, would that be considered taxable income if I took an RMD? If I liquidate?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I have inherited a Roth IRA that is less than 5 years old. The account is currently in the red (no gains on positions). If I liquidate and close, is this taxable?

Prior to 2017, you could claim a loss on the liquidation of a Roth IRA.  However, with the TCJA that is no longer the case.

For an inherited Roth IRA, If the original owner dies before the five-year period has elapsed, you can satisfy the holding period by rolling the account over into an inherited Roth IRA and waiting until the holding period has passed.

Click this link for more info on Inherited IRA's and Retirement Accounts.

Although Roth IRAs have no mandatory distribution requirements for the original owners, heirs must either withdraw all funds within five years of the original owner’s death or take annual minimum withdrawals over their lifetimes. 

If you liquidate the account, there are no tax consequences since the amount will be less than the original contributions.

If you take partial distributions, the income will be taxable since the 5-year rule has not been met. 

[Edited 12/30/2021 12:32 pm]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@mliebler 

rolling the account over into an inherited Roth IRA

The custodian will retitle your Roth IRA when you come forward to verify your identity, if this hasn't happened already. There is no rollover involved.

@MarilynG1 

@fanfare 

I think you did not answer the actual question.

@mliebler 

You may close the account without penalty.  Even if you are within the 5 year period, you may withdraw up to the account basis (the original after-tax contributions) without penalty.  If the amount needed to withdraw to close the account is less than the original owner's contributions, there is no penalty to withdraw the contributions and close the account. 

Thank you Opus17 - you did answer the question. I thought similar fundamental rules (as if I had started the account) would apply with regards to withdrawals of original contributions, but wanted to confirm given this is my first experience with an inherited/FTBO titled account. 

thanks again!

Mike

there's no reason to close an inherited Roth that had poor results.. You can do better.

put the money into stocks that are going up, not down.

@fanfare 

Because this is an inherited IRA, it must be closed within 10 years.  It can’t be kept for the taxpayer’s own retirement.  The only question is to withdraw the money now, or to change investments and hope to recoup more of the original contributions within the 10 year window. Perhaps the taxpayer thinks they have a better use for the funds now.  

10 years is a long time in the stock market.

@fanfare wrote:

10 years is a long time in the stock market.

Yes, but as I said, the taxpayer may have some other use for the money.  For example, suppose the contributions were $10,000 and the current value is $5,000.  The account might regain its value (or more) over 10 years, depending on how it is invested.  But, the taxpayer might believe they have a higher priority use for the $5,000 now.   Most financial experts would say that to build wealth, the taxpayer should leave the money in the tax-deferred account as long as possible.  But the taxpayer may have other priorities. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies