Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had to take out my state retirement to keep my house out of foreclosure. The remainder of the money I put into a ROTH IRA.

Am I still subject to the 10% early withdrawl penalty.  I was 57 when I took it out and now I am 58.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I had to take out my state retirement to keep my house out of foreclosure. The remainder of the money I put into a ROTH IRA.

On the amount you did not convert to a ROTH you will owe the penalty ... that is not an exception. 

It depends on the type of plan and whether you are still employed by the plan sponsor.  For a qualified workplace plan, you are exempt from the penalty if you terminated service with the employer when you were age 55 or older.  If you are still employed with the plan sponsor, then the age for a withdrawal without the penalty is 59 1/2.  

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distri...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies