turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had some of my 2018 contributions to a 401(K) returned to me by my employer, due to plan conformance reasons. How to account for capital gains / losses in this case?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

I had some of my 2018 contributions to a 401(K) returned to me by my employer, due to plan conformance reasons. How to account for capital gains / losses in this case?

No, you do not get a credit for the loss on your contribution to your Roth IRA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

You should have received a 1099-R form for this distribution.  You would need to include this information in TurboTax just the way it shows on the 1099-R. 

With distributions from retirement accounts, you do not account for gains or losses. 

Link to more information about 1099-R

I guess my question is as follows:

Lets say I contributed $19000 to my ROTH 401(K) in 2019. My company's plan needed to return back $3000 of that to me in order to conform the plan. There was a capital loss of $300 when they gave me my money back, so they gave me back only $2700 instead of $3000. Now the 1099-R has $2700 and I have entered it as you suggest. 

So basically I was only allowed to contribute $16000 instead of the usual $19000, but only got back $2700. I was also taxed on that $3000 last year, since they are ROTH contributions.

What about the fact that I netted a loss of $300 on my investment? How do I get a credit for that OR do I not get it at all?

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

No, you do not get a credit for the loss on your contribution to your Roth IRA.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies