Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trung_tran_az
Returning Member

I had non-deductible IRA contributions (from 8606s) in 2017, 2018

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

You do not have to file a Form 8606, but you do need to keep the information for future entries.

File Form 8606 if any of the following apply.

• You made nondeductible contributions to a traditional IRA for 2020, including a repayment of a qualified disaster or reservist distribution.

• You received distributions from a traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRA in 2020 and your basis in these IRAs is more than zero. For this purpose, a distribution doesn’t include a distribution that is rolled over (other than a repayment of a qualified disaster distribution (see 2020 Forms 8915-C, 8915-D, and 8915-E)), qualified charitable distribution, one-time distribution to fund an HSA, conversion, recharacterization, or return of certain contributions.

• You or your spouse transferred all or part of their traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRA in 2020 to the other spouse under a divorce or separation agreement where the transfer resulted in a change in the basis of the IRA of either spouse.

• You converted an amount from a traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRA to a Roth IRA in 2020.

• You received distributions from a Roth IRA in 2020 (other than a rollover, recharacterization, or return of certain contributions—see the instructions for Part III, later).

• You received a distribution from an inherited traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRA that has a basis, or you received a distribution from an inherited Roth IRA that wasn’t a qualified distribution. You may need to file more than one Form 8606. See IRA with basis under What if You Inherit an IRA? in Pub. 590-B for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What is your question? 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
trung_tran_az
Returning Member

Since I didn't report any of the amount from the previous year's 8606 to the following year return, I want to know how to correct the mistake now.  Do I need to file an amend for each of those years?

trung_tran_az
Returning Member

Sorry, I didn't realize that my original question was truncated.  So, here it was:

I had non-deductible IRA contributions (from forms 8606) in 2017, 2018 & 2019. However, I did not report any of the amounts on each of the following years. How can I correct/fix it this year?

@trung_tran_az wrote:

I had non-deductible IRA contributions (from forms 8606) in 2017, 2018 & 2019. However, I did not report any of the amounts on each of the following years. How can I correct/fix it this year?

The only following year is 2020.  Do you mean that you made a nondeductible 2020 contribution and did  not report it on your 2020 return?    Did you file yet?   Was it reported as a deductible contribution?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
trung_tran_az
Returning Member

No, I have not filed 2020 return.  I've been working on the return for 2020 and realize that I didn't do it correctly in previous years (2018 and 2019).  For 2020, I plan to make only deductible contribution right when I'm ready to file.  Can I still correct the mistakes for 2018 and 2019 returns?  If so, how?  Or, can I correct everything on 2020 return?

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies