Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxache

I got some advanced money on a Inheritance that I was expected to receive, but it did not materialized, is the advancement taxable?

The company that advanced the money will get nothing back, due to complications with the probate procedure being challenged most of the beneficiaries will get no money. 

will this money advanced be taxable? or does it count as if I had inherited  which would not had been taxable? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I got some advanced money on a Inheritance that I was expected to receive, but it did not materialized, is the advancement taxable?

It won't count as "inherited" because you didn't actually receive an inheritance; this was a contract where you sold your "right of claim" to the estate's assets to another party. 

It should be taxable income to you and a deductible expense to the company that paid it. You should expect to receive a Form 1099-MISC (Box 3, Other Income) from the company that paid you for your rights to any estate assets.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

It won't count as "inherited" because you didn't actually receive an inheritance; this was a contract where you sold your "right of claim" to the estate's assets to another party. 

It should be taxable income to you and a deductible expense to the company that paid it. You should expect to receive a Form 1099-MISC (Box 3, Other Income) from the company that paid you for your rights to any estate assets.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies