turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxbterry

I got a letter from the city of Middletown demanding 2014 ,2015,2016 I didn't file those years because I did't make enough. Do i have to turn in a front page of 1040.?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I got a letter from the city of Middletown demanding 2014 ,2015,2016 I didn't file those years because I did't make enough. Do i have to turn in a front page of 1040.?

If you were not required to file a federal and state tax return because your income was below the minimum filing requirements then it would be highly unusual for a local tax authority to require you to file a local tax return.

You need to call the local tax authority to find out why they think you need to file those specific tax years.

Just because you didn't make enough to file a federal or state return doesn't mean you didn't have to file the city return.  Complete the forms they are asking for ASAP ...  https://www.cityofmiddletown.org/243/Tax-Forms

Hal_Al
Level 15

You need to file city returns for those years.  It wouldn't hurt to attach a copy of your federal return, but it should not be necessary.

Middletown has no minimum income filing requirement.  In fact, most, if not all, Ohio cities, with an income tax, require adult residents to file an income tax return. When you don't have enough income, most Ohio cities have an exemption certificate that you can file, instead of the tax form. Instead of a separate exemption form, the Middletown tax form has a check box to indicate why you're filing with no income.

From FAQ at city web site:

Do I have to file a return?

All residents of Middletown are required to file a tax return regardless of where they work. Residents, age 65 or over may be eligible for a senior account

What income is taxed by the City?

Earned income is subject to the Middletown local income tax but unearned income is not. Common illustrations of earned income include salaries, qualifying wages, commissions, bonuses, and other compensation paid by employer(s) before any deductions. Unlike for your Federal return, you may not deduct contributions to a retirement plan (IRA, 401k, 403b, or 457b) on your Middletown return. Also taxable are gambling and lottery winnings reported on IRS form W2G or Form 5754. Earnings are taxed in the year earned. Pension and retirement income is not taxable when you are retired and receiving distributions.

The city no longer mails out blank forms  to the residents.  Generic forms are accepted.
You can come into the office with your W2s and federal schedules and we can prepare your return.
You can download the forms from the income tax department website.
You can call the tax office at 513-425-7862 and request a form.
Or you can use the fillable PDF available on the income tax department website, print it and mail it in with your attachments.  https://www.cityofmiddletown.org/243/Tax-Forms

A generic Ohio city form is available within the TurboTax Ohio program. But,  I actually find it easier to fill out a city return by hand or at the city web site,

The reason it is called an income tax return is that it is a return of information to the government (in the same way that election returns are an official report about votes, your tax return is an official report about your income and tax owed).   

If your income is less than a certain amount, you might not have to file a federal income tax return, but this is because the IRS already gets copies of your income information and can calculate your tax owed without your help.  If they calculate your tax owed is zero and they don't have any other questions for you, they usually won't ask for the tax return.

Cities may not have access to the same information about your income.  You need to file the report with them (the tax return) showing in writing (and with your signature) that you don't owe tax for that year.  As @Hal_Al describes, filing an Ohio city return is fairly simple, and you may be able to make an appointment to go in and have them help you in person.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies