turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got a check, my 403-b was terminated. I've not received a 1099-R & need to know a code for box 7? Early distribution no exceptions, I didn't ask for the distribution?

I left a job with a 403-b, I received a check saying that my 403-b had been terminated. I've not received a 1099-R & need to know a code for box 7? Early distribution no exceptions even tho I did not ask for the distribution?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I got a check, my 403-b was terminated. I've not received a 1099-R & need to know a code for box 7? Early distribution no exceptions, I didn't ask for the distribution?

You haven't received 1099-R yet... but you will; the employers/payers of 1099-R have until Jan 31st to issue the forms; you may get it within next few weeks.

I strongly recommend that you don't file and don't prepare entries until you actually receive the form. The code in box 7 is the most important part of the form, as it determines if and how much is taxable, and if you have to pay any penalty. Only the administrator of 1099-R will know the code. 

And you are correct - even though you didn't ask for the distribution, you may still be subject to penalty, based on the code in box 7. When you enter your form, TurboTax will give you a list of exceptions for which you may qualify.  If none apply to  your situation, you'll be subject to additional 10% tax, unfortunately.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You haven't received 1099-R yet... but you will; the employers/payers of 1099-R have until Jan 31st to issue the forms; you may get it within next few weeks.

I strongly recommend that you don't file and don't prepare entries until you actually receive the form. The code in box 7 is the most important part of the form, as it determines if and how much is taxable, and if you have to pay any penalty. Only the administrator of 1099-R will know the code. 

And you are correct - even though you didn't ask for the distribution, you may still be subject to penalty, based on the code in box 7. When you enter your form, TurboTax will give you a list of exceptions for which you may qualify.  If none apply to  your situation, you'll be subject to additional 10% tax, unfortunately.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies