turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I file married fling joint with my husband, he only receives SSDI income, I am the only one with earned income, he has a tax offset. Will my refund be intercepted?

After my return is "Approved" and I have a DDD will the offset number tell me if the offset has occurred?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I file married fling joint with my husband, he only receives SSDI income, I am the only one with earned income, he has a tax offset. Will my refund be intercepted?

Yes, your refund could possibly be intercepted if you filed a joint return.  If this happens you will need to file Form 8379 Injured Spouse Relief.  

You can do this in TurboTax by doing the following:

1. Click on Federal
  2. Other Tax Situations
  3. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms
  4. Click Start next to Miscellaneous Tax Forms
  5. Click Start next to Report and injured or innocent spouse claim.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes, your refund could possibly be intercepted if you filed a joint return.  If this happens you will need to file Form 8379 Injured Spouse Relief.  

You can do this in TurboTax by doing the following:

1. Click on Federal
  2. Other Tax Situations
  3. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms
  4. Click Start next to Miscellaneous Tax Forms
  5. Click Start next to Report and injured or innocent spouse claim.

I Suppose I Should Add, for the past 3 years his social has had the offset, and they have never intercepted it before. my refund this year was approved, I have a DDD of 2/22 I just called the offset number again, and it said "has been or maybe offset" Will it tell me if it has and the amount?

You may just skirt by since you have the DDD and it is close, but since today is a holiday, you can try calling again tomorrow when the government offices are open again as there may be an update.

Perfect Thank You, I will call them again tomorrow!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies