Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I e-filed yesterday, but I want to contribute to our Sep ira - how can I do that? Do I file an amended return? If so, how do I do that?

Since we ended up owing $3700 I'd much rather put that $$ in our Sep Ira and lessen our tax bill...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I e-filed yesterday, but I want to contribute to our Sep ira - how can I do that? Do I file an amended return? If so, how do I do that?

Yes, if by April 18, 2017 you make a contribution to a SEP-IRA for the 2016 tax year, you can amend your 2016 tax return to include it.  An IRA contribution is (potentially) a deduction, not a tax credit, so the amount that it reduces your tax bill will be determine by your marginal tax rate on that amount of income.  If your marginal tax rate is 25%, you would have to make a SEP contribution of $14,800 to eliminate your tax bill.  A SEP contribution of $14,800 would require a net profit from self-employment of something like $79,625.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Yes, if by April 18, 2017 you make a contribution to a SEP-IRA for the 2016 tax year, you can amend your 2016 tax return to include it.  An IRA contribution is (potentially) a deduction, not a tax credit, so the amount that it reduces your tax bill will be determine by your marginal tax rate on that amount of income.  If your marginal tax rate is 25%, you would have to make a SEP contribution of $14,800 to eliminate your tax bill.  A SEP contribution of $14,800 would require a net profit from self-employment of something like $79,625.

Is this true of the 2021 tax year -- that I can file an amended return and make my SEP self-employed contribution by April 18?

Yes it is. But be sure to fund the plan no later than April 18.

JasonSD

Can the missed, late contribution and tax amendment also be made by the extension date of Oct 16?

did you file an extention prior to april 18 that was accepted? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies