Solved: I converted trad IRAs to Roth IRAs in prior years. I'm trying to report them in TurboTax now. TurboTax is asking if they're taxable or nontaxable, I'm not sure.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I converted trad IRAs to Roth IRAs in prior years. I'm trying to report them in TurboTax now. TurboTax is asking if they're taxable or nontaxable, I'm not sure.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

I converted trad IRAs to Roth IRAs in prior years. I'm trying to report them in TurboTax now. TurboTax is asking if they're taxable or nontaxable, I'm not sure.

If you had no basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions and did no rollovers to an IRA of after-tax money from a qualified retirement plan like a 401(k), all of your Roth conversions were taxable conversions.  If any part of a particular conversion was from basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions or from after-tax money in a qualified retirement plan, that part would be a nontaxable conversion.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 15

If you had no basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions and did no rollovers to an IRA of after-tax money from a qualified retirement plan like a 401(k), all of your Roth conversions were taxable conversions.  If any part of a particular conversion was from basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions or from after-tax money in a qualified retirement plan, that part would be a nontaxable conversion.

View solution in original post

They are taxable when you convert them. Roth IRAs are not taxable when you withdrawal them.
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings