turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hudsonb50

I contributed a portion of my IRA RMD to a charity, how and where do you enter this in Turbo Tax so that the charity portion does not add to your adjusted gross income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I contributed a portion of my IRA RMD to a charity, how and where do you enter this in Turbo Tax so that the charity portion does not add to your adjusted gross income?

Just enter the 1099-R *exactly* as printed, and then pay attention to detail on the screens that will follow the data entry screen. I'm not sure, but I would expect your 1099-R to have a code "F" in box 7.

See the answer and comment on this post,  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4506010-i-have-made-a-charitable-contribution-from-one-of-my-ira-a...>
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The 1099-R will not have distribution code F. Code F is for income received from a charitable gift annuity, not from an IRA. A Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) is not a charitable gift annuity.

@Carl - Code "F" (charitable gift annuity) is a special case and has nothing to do with a QCD that does not have any special code - a QCD is self-reported by the taxpayer, not the IRA trustee.

A charitable gift annuity involves a contract between a donor and a charity, whereby the donor transfers cash or property to the charity in exchange for a partial tax deduction and a lifetime stream of annual income from the charity. When the donor dies, the charity keeps the gift.  In other words, the charity pays the donor until the donor dies, then the charity keeps the remainder.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
hudsonb50

Thank you very much!  Barry
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The 1099-R form for your IRA distributions will not show how much was contributed to charity. It will just show the total amount that you withdrew for the year. You do not get a separate 1099-R for the amount you contributed to charity. You get one 1099-R for the total amount that you withdrew from your IRA. After you enter the 1099-R in TurboTax, continue through the interview questions in sequence and read the screens carefully. One of them will ask you whether part of the total was distributed to charity, and if so, how much. When you enter that information, TurboTax will exclude the charitable distribution amount from your adjusted gross income and make the necessary notation to indicate a Qualified Charitable Distribution.

The program should note "QCD" next to the line 15b notation.
And also keep in mind that you cannot take a charitable contribution deduction for this same amount; should you itemize.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

An important point to remember:  IRC 408(d)(8)(C) states that "a distribution...shall qualify as a qualified charitable distribution only if a deduction for the entire (emphasis added) distirbution would be allowed under section 170 ..."  So if you write a check on your IRA account to a qualified organization for $200 and $5 is not tax deductible, $0 is the amount of your qualified contribution deduction.  You can still deduct $195 if you itemize.

Solution is to send two checks--one for $195, which is then a qualified contribution distribution, and one for $5, which is not.

jwtoler

The software does not seem to be working correctly.  The amount is still included in my AGI. Also, there is no place to enter the amount of the distribution that was already not-taxable.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Enter the 1099R and indicate "Taxable amount not determined".  After you finish input you will come back the 1099R summary screen then continue.  Eventually you will get to the nondeductible contribution screens.  Enter the non-taxable potion of the IRA there then continue through and check your taxable amount on line 4b of our 1040.

TurboTax is not asking the "RMD" question after completing the 1099 entries.  The QCD amount is part of the RMD question and gets skipped because (apparently) I am not old enough to be required to take an RMD but am old enough to make a QCD from my IRA.  Please assist me in entering my QCD amount.

EDIT:  I decided to test my hypothesis and changed my age in a copy.  By 'becoming 'older' (well past RMD age), I was able to enter the numbers (RMD and QCD) as described in the help pages.  It worked as advertised as long as I was over 72.

EDIT #2:  I received an email from a TurboTax Employee:

Re: The 1099-R form for your IRA distributions will not show...

Yes. In 2020 the Secures Act increased the  the RMD age to 72 but only if you turned 70 1/2 in 2020.  if you were already taking RMD from turning 70 1/2 in a previous year, then you have to continue taking your RMD.  Of course, for 2020 no RMD was required.  You handled the age work around correctly in TurboTax but make sure to change your age back when you are done.

Although this work around method works, it shows an error in the TurboTax program itself.  This minor variation should be available.  I am concerned that it won't "stick" during updates, etc. and will decide to switch back on its own.  The use of a QCD withdrawal is a substantial tax benefit when using the standard deduction.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Yes. In 2020 the Secures Act increased the  the RMD age to 72 but only if you turned 70 1/2 in 2020.  If you were already taking RMD from turning 70 1/2 in a previous year, then you have to continue taking your RMD.  Of course, for 2020 no RMD was required.  You handled the age work around correctly in TurboTax but make sure to change your age back when you are done.

Although this work around method works, it shows an error/oversight in the TurboTax program itself.  This minor variation should be available.  I am concerned that it won't "stick" during updates, etc. and will decide to switch back on its own.  The use of a QCD withdrawal is a substantial tax benefit when using the standard deduction.

Currently the software is not asking if any part of the RMD was a QCD.  It has always done this in the past.  

When will this be fixed?

Manage cookies