Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dmertz
Level 15

I am the executor of an EState, the beneficiary of the IRA is the Estate. When I take a yearly distributtion what should the estate be taxed at?

While not they do not provide precedent, the PLRs give an indication of the IRS position on this and consistently suggest that the IRS generally does not have a problem with transferring a inherited IRA out of the estate to estate beneficiaries; I've never heard of a case where the IRS provided a ruling denying this.  There are apparently IRA custodians that are accommodative of doing this without a PLR and Natalie Choate's suggestion in the original reference was to find one of those IRA custodians and transfer the IRA for the benefit of the estate to them.  It seems to me that this would be impossible only if the original IRA agreement explicitly prohibited the transfer of an IRA inherited by the estate, which would be a restriction imposed by the original IRA custodian, not by statute.

mdfiler1

I am the executor of an EState, the beneficiary of the IRA is the Estate. When I take a yearly distributtion what should the estate be taxed at?

I am the successor beneficiary of a non-spousal IRA.  My father passed away last year and his IRA will be going through an estate trust before being split into separate inherited IRA accounts for me and my siblings.  My understanding is that I have to use his age at the time of death to calculate the RMD.  Is that accurate?  Also, I understand that there may be an exemption for the disabled in terms of the time horizon for drawing down the account.  My spouse has Parkinson's Disease; does the fact that we file our returns jointly make this inherited IRA eligible for a longer draw-down period?  What would that be?

dcs1969

In 2021, A lump distribution was made from the deceased IRA to the Estate (circa $98k) - as executor, with 2 beneficiaries, can we follow the same steps you outline, ie report income to estate, then distribute and report income via K-1 to the beneficiaries as Income in Respect of a Decedent? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies