turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am retired from a NYS SUNY institution with TIAA-CREF. My pension is NYS tax free, correct?

NYS TIAA-CREF taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
FaithY
Expert Alumni

I am retired from a NYS SUNY institution with TIAA-CREF. My pension is NYS tax free, correct?

Yes, your TIAA-CREF pension is tax free on your NYS tax return, and will be a subtraction on the NYS (IT-201) tax return.

Article 16, § 5 of the New York State Constitution provides that "all salaries, wages and other compensation, except pensions, paid to officers and employees of the state and its subdivisions and agencies, shall be subject to taxation." Tax Law § 612 provides that the New York adjusted gross income of a resident individual means the individual's federal adjusted gross income with the modifications specified in § 612. Tax Law § 612(c)(3)(i) provides that, to the extent includible in gross income for federal income tax purposes, pensions paid to officers and employees of New York State, its subdivisions, and agencies will be subtracted from an individual's federal adjusted gross income. 

Topspin1
Returning Member

Answer given on a TIAA pension paid to a retired nys teacher was taxexempt on nys. Not so..only $20000 exempt. If  paid more above that 20,000

Balance taxabe!

Topspin1
Returning Member

Lost 2 cases with nys via appeal with them on conference.!

Topspin1
Returning Member

Maybe we all were drinking too much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies