Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbeal4me

I am raising back yard chickens...I can use them as a tax break

5 Replies
SweetieJean
Level 15

As a hobby, or do you sell them and/or the eggs?
badboybadlee

Hobby and to feed the family
Opus 17
Level 15

The most "famous" tax deductions are social engineering created by Congress to encourage certain behavior, like having children or owning a home.  But the real purpose of a tax deduction is to go against income -- if you earn $5000 but you have $1000 of expenses, you should only have to pay tax on $4000 of profit.

So, if you raise chickens as a business and report taxable income from selling eggs or meat, then you can deduct your expenses (food, chicks, transportation to the farmer's market).  But if this is a hobby or personal use and you don't report taxable income, you can't deduct expenses.  Congress never created a special chicken deduction.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
mohammadalkaseer

WKins2
Expert Alumni

If you are raising chickens as a business, then yes, you can claim the chickens, income, and expenses from raising them on a Schedule C. TurboTax will walk you through how to prepare the Schedule C, and capture your other tax data as well. 

You should be using TurboTax self-employed to generate the Schedule C. You can get that by clicking here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings