I am raising back yard chickens...I can use them as a tax break

bbeal4me

As a hobby, or do you sell them and/or the eggs?
badboybadlee

Hobby and to feed the family

The most "famous" tax deductions are social engineering created by Congress to encourage certain behavior, like having children or owning a home.  But the real purpose of a tax deduction is to go against income -- if you earn $5000 but you have $1000 of expenses, you should only have to pay tax on $4000 of profit.

So, if you raise chickens as a business and report taxable income from selling eggs or meat, then you can deduct your expenses (food, chicks, transportation to the farmer's market).  But if this is a hobby or personal use and you don't report taxable income, you can't deduct expenses.  Congress never created a special chicken deduction.

mohammadalkaseer

WKins2

If you are raising chickens as a business, then yes, you can claim the chickens, income, and expenses from raising them on a Schedule C. TurboTax will walk you through how to prepare the Schedule C, and capture your other tax data as well. 

You should be using TurboTax self-employed to generate the Schedule C. You can get that by clicking here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/