I am planning to switch from LLC to S. Corp. Can I...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
u03236e

I am planning to switch from LLC to S. Corp. Can I use my current SEP account to do a contribution as an employee or do I need to open a new 401k Account?

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I am planning to switch from LLC to S. Corp. Can I use my current SEP account to do a contribution as an employee or do I need to open a new 401k Account?

As an employee of the S-Corp, you cannot contribute to your SEP account.

You have to establish a 401(k) plan for the S-Corp and as an employee participant, you can contribute to the 401(k) plan.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

A SEP-IRA account belongs to the individual not to the plan.  For the S corp to be able to make SEP contributions, the S corp must establish a SEP plan, but the SEP contributions can be deposited into the same SEP-IRA account as was used by the SEP plan of the other entity for its deposits.  SEP contributions can only be employer contributions (including the self-employed as their own employer), not employee contributions (except for employee salary deferrals to a SARSEP established before 1997).  To be able to make employee elective deferrals, the S corp would have to establish either a SIMPLE plan or a 401(k) plan, not a SEP plan, neither of which is permitted to make deposits to a SEP-IRA account.

See IRS Pub 560:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p560.pdf

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings