Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am confused on whether I need a 1099 form ? I am a server but also a solo Esthetician.

I know I do not need one being a server but unsure about since I am an Esthetician.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am confused on whether I need a 1099 form ? I am a server but also a solo Esthetician.

I assume your question is "do I need to receive a 1099-MISC in order to prepare my income tax return?" , i.e., you're not asking if you need to issue a 1099-MISC to someone else.

The answer is:

While you may be due to receive a 1099-MISC form - though as a solo Esthetician collecting your revenue, (I assume), in small amounts from a variety of clients you probably are not - it really doesn't make any difference to you when it comes time to fill out your income tax return.  As a "sole proprietor" you are obligated to maintain your own books and records, (which might be as simple as a check register), of your income and expenses.  You use your own records of income and expense to fill out Schedule C.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I assume your question is "do I need to receive a 1099-MISC in order to prepare my income tax return?" , i.e., you're not asking if you need to issue a 1099-MISC to someone else.

The answer is:

While you may be due to receive a 1099-MISC form - though as a solo Esthetician collecting your revenue, (I assume), in small amounts from a variety of clients you probably are not - it really doesn't make any difference to you when it comes time to fill out your income tax return.  As a "sole proprietor" you are obligated to maintain your own books and records, (which might be as simple as a check register), of your income and expenses.  You use your own records of income and expense to fill out Schedule C.

Tom Young

A 1099-MISC is a form that would be given TO you by certain clients or business arrangements.  You may not get any at all depending on the nature of your business.

As a self-employed person, you must report your self-employment income on Schedule C that is attached to the rest of your tax return.  Schedule C reports all your gross income, deducts your expenses, calculates the self-employment and income tax, and adds it to your other taxes and deductions from your W-2 job.

You need to have good business records proving your expenses and your income, even if it is only in cash.

@VolvoGirl can you paste in your SE template?  I don't have the link handy.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies