turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a beneficiary of an IRA, but I do not know how much is required to be withheld from the account for Federal and State Taxes. How much should be taken out for each?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I am a beneficiary of an IRA, but I do not know how much is required to be withheld from the account for Federal and State Taxes. How much should be taken out for each?

Inherited IRA's will be taxed at your ordinary income tax rate when the money is taken out.

This will depend on the other income on your return and also the state you live in for the State income taxes.

Based on the way you asked the question, I assume you are asking this about the future, so 2018 and beyond.  I have put in a link below for the 2018 tax rates, so this may help you get very close to what amount is needed to be taken out for taxes.

Many custodians of the IRA accounts will take out 20% Federal and 5% on the state (if you have state income tax) as a ballpark number.  Your actual rate however may be higher or lower and the tax rate schedule can help get you closer to the actual amount.  

https://www.doughroller.net/taxes/federal-income-tax-brackets-deductions-and-exemption-limits/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies