Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

miyabi13

I am 65 years old and have several IRAs. One is more than 5 years old, the others are less than 5 years old. Can I withdraw from all of my IRAs penalty and tax free?

make new contributions can I with
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I am 65 years old and have several IRAs. One is more than 5 years old, the others are less than 5 years old. Can I withdraw from all of my IRAs penalty and tax free?

What type of IRA?  Traditional or Roth?

No, your retirement account distributions will not be tax free.   Since you are over 59 1/2, you are not subject to an early withdrawal penalty, but money taken out of your IRA's or 401k's etc. is taxable income.   If you take money out, you will get a 1099R that must be entered on your tax return.  You will be taxed at the rate for your income bracket on that income.

To enter your retirement income, Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You can withdraw from a Traditional IRA tax free only if your IRA basis is not less than the amount withdrawn plus the most recent year-end value of the IRA,.

Generally, most IRAs do not have any basis.

@miyabi13 

You can only make new contributions to a traditional or Roth IRA if you have compensation from working -- this generally means W-2 wages or schedule C self-employment.

For a traditional IRA, all withdrawals are always taxable, since you did not pay tax on the contributions.  You will not pay the additional 10% penalty for early withdrawal at your age.

If you have a Roth (after-tax) IRA, withdrawals are tax free if it is at least 5 years since you opened your first Roth IRA (traditional IRAs don't start this 5 year clock).  The 5 year clock on Roth IRAs applies once in a taxpayer's life.  If you have more than one Roth IRA, look at the date that the earliest one was opened.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies