turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am 100% disabled with SSA and VA and I withdrew from my government Thrift Savings Plan. It states that if I am disabled I will not have to pay taxes on it??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AndreaG

I am 100% disabled with SSA and VA and I withdrew from my government Thrift Savings Plan. It states that if I am disabled I will not have to pay taxes on it??

It depends on whether or not the Thrift Savings Plan is a Roth. If it is a Roth, you would have paid taxes on the contributions so you do NOT have to pay taxes on the distributions. If it is NOT a Roth then you deferred the tax on the contributions so you would have to pay taxes on the distributions. In either situation, you do NOT have to pay the additional 10% penalty tax because you are disabled. See Pub 721, page 13-14: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p721.pdf.  Per IRS Pub 721, page 18 under "disability annuity", if you retired on disability, the annuity you receive is taxable as wages until you reach minimum retirement age. After you have reached retirement age, the distributions are treated as retirement income. See page 18  of Pub 721 for more information regarding the minimum retirement age.

I am closing my TSP account in the next 30 days and I am 100% disabled veteran.  I was told that I need to fill out IRS Form 5329 for IRS to make the determination.  I have my papers from VA stating that I am 100% disabled.  Do I need to send TSP a copy of the form from you to go with my paper when I closed my account 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies