turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA's in retirement

I have a high-deductible insurance plan which entitles me to make an HSA contribution in 2019.  In my "What-If" form, I'm seeing that the deduction isn't reducing my gains for the year like it would for wages.  What is the formula for determining how much of a tax deduction that I'll get with an HSA contribution if I have no earned income?  TIA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

HSA's in retirement

The deduction for an HSA contribution appears on 2019 Schedule 1 line 12 and directly reduced your AGI, but not below zero.  The reduction in your AGI will reduce your taxable income, but not below zero.

HSA's in retirement

I have no earned income (wages), but I do have capital gains/dividends.  I'm looking for how the deduction is calculated in that case.  The "What If" from shows a deduction, but not 100% like wages.

dmertz
Level 15

HSA's in retirement

The deduction for an HSA contribution has nothing to do with wages or compensation.  As I said, the deduction for an HSA contribution simply reduces AGI, but not below zero, which reduces taxable income, but not below zero (except in the case where your minimum taxable income is further limited by alternative minimum tax; check for a Form 6251 in your tax return).  Make sure that you've answered all of TurboTax's questions in the HSA section that are necessary for TurboTax to properly prepare Form 8889.

A reduction in your taxable income could be pulling your income that is taxed at long-term capital gains rates into the 0% capital gains tax bracket.  Once all of your taxable income is taxed at the 0% long-term capital gains rate, further reductions in taxable income will not reduce your income tax liability because it'a already zero.

Be aware that changes to your AGI can have side effects in other areas of your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies