turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jvasicek4

How to upload 1099-R form in PDF ? TurboTax says it is not a 1099-R form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You cannot upload a Form 1099-R in the program.  Are you referring to an import?  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1099r" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1099r
  • Follow prompts

If the import does not work, you will need to manually enter the info by selecting "I'll type it myself" ( see instructions above)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received a 1099 R and it had california witholding. I should have attached a 1099R from a PDF. How is that done if i dont have an online version of Turbo

@SteveShumrak 

Did you read the CA instructions for what to attach to your filed tax return ?

@SteveShumrak wrote:

I received a 1099 R and it had california witholding. I should have attached a 1099R from a PDF. How is that done if i dont have an online version of Turbo

A Form 1099-R is not attached to a tax return if the tax return is being e-filed.  You enter the information form the 1099-R on the tax return.  The IRS already has received a copy of the 1099-R from the issuer.

If you are printing the tax return for mailing and there are taxes withheld then you would include a copy of the Form 1099-R with the mailed tax return.

To enter, edit or delete a form 1099-R -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button

Or enter 1099-r in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1099-R

Thanks for the quick response. My problem is with the state return.  Since i have state of California witholding included on a 1099R i needed to attach a copy of the 1099 R to the California return. and dont know how to do that if i file electronically.  So it seems that my only option is to get it uploaded from the financial institution?  

You only need to attach it if you are filing CA by mail.

@SteveShumrak wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. My problem is with the state return.  Since i have state of California witholding included on a 1099R i needed to attach a copy of the 1099 R to the California return. and dont know how to do that if i file electronically.  So it seems that my only option is to get it uploaded from the financial institution?  

For an e-filed California state tax return, where are you seeing a requirement to provide a paper copy to the state?  The information from the Form 1099-R is already provided to the state by the issuer of the form and the information from your Form 1099-R is provided on the e-filed California return, just like on the e-filed Federal return.

You would only have a requirement to provide a copy of the form 1099-R if you were mailing the state tax return and the form has California state income taxes withheld.

yes and its required to be sent however in the cal instructions for electronic filing it does not mention "attaching".  I got a  notice from the state which showed they didnt include my 1099 witholding .  This never happened before. 

@SteveShumrak wrote:

yes and its required to be sent however in the cal instructions for electronic filing it does not mention "attaching".  I got a  notice from the state which showed they didnt include my 1099 witholding .  This never happened before. 

Sounds like you have already e-file the state tax return.  Contact the state using the information on the state letter you received and find out exactly what they need and how you are to provide this form.

Thank you. Yes i did that already and sent them the 1099 a month ago. The state is very far behind.  Its strange that this year they didnt pick up my with holding on the 1099R. i was just trying to find out if i did something wrong via my turbo input so i wont repeat it next year.  I appreciate the quick response.

thanks, my mistake i didn't see any attachment requirement on the instructions for electronic filing. 

The state didn't pick up the withholding amount from the 1099R.   I just wanted to make sure that i didn't do anything wrong on my  Turbo input.  

Thanks for your response. 

@SteveShumrak 

IF you e-filed your CA tax return, and later, CA asks for a copy of the 1099-R to confirm the CA withholding....this can happen in several possible situations.

A couple that have nothing to do with how you filed your CA tax return:

1)  Completely random check (not often)

2)  The people that provided your 1099-R: When CA withholding was done, that provider was also supposed to send CA that information separately (also, usually in some electronic fashion).  The CA FTB then matches what you filed against what the 1099-R provider sent to CA.  IF a) the 1099-R provider was late in sending that info.... or b) not submitted to CA at all ...or c) data was somehow garbled or lost/erased at the CA FTB end, or d) doesn't match the $$ amount for what you e-filed, then the CA FTB asks for a mailed paper copy of the 1099-R that you actually received to confirm that $$ withholding amount.

What can also happen, is an error at your filing end, for which they will ask for a paper copy of the 1099-R to also to confirm the CA withholding amount.

3)  The user inputs the 1099-R info into their software tax file.  Occasionally the user mistypes the $$ amounts, either thru key fumble fingering the $$ (like $2234 instead of $1234), or perhaps missed the decimal key resulting in an unusually large withholding amount, or perhaps, if they imported their 1099-R into the software, they did not carefully confirm the actual $$ amount of CA withholding entered, and it was messed up.  Yep, the CA FTB asks for a paper copy in this situation, to confirm the amounts.

For this last situation, you would check the total withholding shown on your paper copy of the CA tax form (line 71 of the 2021 CA Form 540),  and see if a separate manual add-up of the total CA withholding on any/all your paper tax reporting forms matches the CA form 540 (line 71).  If the $$ match, then what you've done is probably OK.  IF it doesn't match, then you'd need to get back into your tax file to get a full worksheet printout of your tax file to see what was entered in the tax software for CA withholding...and see if you did, or did not make some sort of entry error.   

(Of course, if your 1099-R was the only CA withholding you had done for the year, then line 71 of the Form 540 should match.  If you made any quarterly estimated tax payments to CA, then those are shown separately on line 72, and are not withholding))

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thank you so much for your response it was great. Sounds like the error was not on my end. I mainly wanted to know if i might have done something wrong at my end. 

I appreciate your response

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies