turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report 1099-R Tax Withheld from Rollover IRA conversion to Roth on lines B4, 5 and 6

I converted $45,000 from my "Rollover IRA" to my "Roth IRA".  I also had my investment company withhold 10% tax.  The 1099-R has lines 1 and 2a as $45,000, 2b taxable amount not determined selected (x), line 4 Federal income tax withheld as $4,500 and line 7 Distribution code as "7" and IRA/SEP/SIMPLE (x).

After entering the 1099-R, Turbo Tax populates line B4 of Form 1099-R with $45,000 but leaves lines B5 and B6 blank.

My understanding is the full $45,000 is treated as a distribution, but after withholding $4,500 for taxes, shouldn't TurboTax be recording the ROTH contribution as $40,500 on line B6?  (or, am I over complicating the meaning of Line B6 since the difference was all Federal Taxes)

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

How to report 1099-R Tax Withheld from Rollover IRA conversion to Roth on lines B4, 5 and 6

Yes, line B6 should be $40,500. You will have to enter the amount the amount that was converted in the follow-up questions:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  4. Click "Continue" and enter the information from your 1099-R
  5. Answer questions until you get to “What Did You Do With The Money” and choose “I moved it to another retirement account
  6. Then choose “I did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out money.” and enter the amount next to "Amount converted to a Roth IRA account" (this will be $40,500 unless you added the amount that was withheld for taxes from other funds).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, line B6 should be $40,500. You will have to enter the amount the amount that was converted in the follow-up questions:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  4. Click "Continue" and enter the information from your 1099-R
  5. Answer questions until you get to “What Did You Do With The Money” and choose “I moved it to another retirement account
  6. Then choose “I did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out money.” and enter the amount next to "Amount converted to a Roth IRA account" (this will be $40,500 unless you added the amount that was withheld for taxes from other funds).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies