turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file my 2018 federal income tax if I over-contributed my 401K in 2018? Fidelity returned excess contribution on April 2 but will issue a 2019 1099-R on Jan 2019.

Fidelity 401K indicated that they will not issue a 1099-R until Jan 2020. The questions are:

1) Should I wait until Jan 2020 to report this excess contribution which I will receive in April 2019?

2) The other answer which TurboTax has offered is to report that as Miscellaneous income now and ignore the 1099-R receive in 2020 but only report the gain. However , if it is done this way, TurboTax will still flag error and won't allow e-file. The resulted pdf file does not indicate any where in the paper format that this amount is reflected as "Excess Salary Deferral". The increase tax amount is however reflected. Is this a software bug still even after the April 5th latest release?

3) If this is a software bug still, and we can't e-file or paper file? What is the option now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How to file my 2018 federal income tax if I over-contributed my 401K in 2018? Fidelity returned excess contribution on April 2 but will issue a 2019 1099-R on Jan 2019.

Yes, it is a software bug.  The return of the excess contribution is reported on your 2019 taxes due in April of 2020.  Do not try to add it as 2018 income.  The suggested workaround at this point, according to the folks I've corresponded that work for Intuit, is to file on paper instead of e-filing.  Let me know if that doesn't work, i.e. if TurboTax still refuses to move forward, and we can try another option.  You are not alone!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies