turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HOW TO ANSWER 1099R QUESTIONS

I received a 1099R for monthly distributions to me from my pension. When I am asked the question "What did you do with the money frim the Northern Trust?", Is that asking what did I do with the monthly distribution money or is it asking what I did with my pension when I retired?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

It is asking what you did with the monthly distributions (if that is the Form 1099-R that you are entering).  Most likely you 'did something else with it'.  The main reason it asks is to determine whether the distribution was rolled into another retirement account or IRA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

It is asking what you did with the monthly distributions (if that is the Form 1099-R that you are entering).  Most likely you 'did something else with it'.  The main reason it asks is to determine whether the distribution was rolled into another retirement account or IRA.

jtax
Level 10

It is asking about the monthly distributions (though it doesn't care if they are monthly, annual, semi-annual, or every other day, just the total for the year, which should be shown on the 1099-R in box 1).

TT needs to ask its questions to determine the taxable amount of your pension/IRA distributions.

1. if you put the money into another IRA it might not be taxable. that's a rollover. 
  2. if you did not take your required minimum distribution you might owe a penalty.

In the normal course of things for a retired person, neither will apply, but TT has to ask to be sure. they don't usually apply because the safer way to transfer custodians (e.g. move from Fidelity to Vanguard) is to have them do a direct rollover. Then the money never comes to you and you don't get a 1099-R for the rollover. Secondly, you RMD is probably automatically calculated and distributed monthly.

not sure

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies