How much should my deceased mother get in stimulus...

lmezza01

How much should my deceased mother get in stimulus tax credits. Died 4/12/20. Returned the first check, no second check. TTax credits her with $1,800. Is this right?

She would have qualified for the stimulus check if she hadn't died.  TurboTax is crediting her with $1,800 that doesn't seem right.
LenaH

Yes, your mother should get the Recovery Rebate Credit. Per the IRS, a payment won’t be issued to someone who has died before January 1, 2020. However, eligible individuals who died in 2020, should claim the Recovery Rebate Credit their 2020 tax return. 

lmezza01

I know she is eligible for the second payment ($600).  It seems like she is not eligible for the first payment of $1,200.  She died before the first payment checks were issued. 

TurboTax is crediting her with both payments when I go through the Recovery Rebate Credit questions.  I want to make sure that is correct before I file.

MaryM428

Your mother died on 4/12/2020 which made her eligible for both of the stimulus checks.  On the Recovery Rebate Credit page, you must enter the amount of the 2019 rebate payment that your mother received.  If here 2019 stimulus payment was never received, then enter zero for that payment amount. 

@ lmezza01

fanfare

If you returned a check, which you are allowed to do, you must file saying you got it.