Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

How is the taxable amount on an Office of Personnel Management form CSA 1099R box 2A says 'UNKNOWN'?

@Jen71  The taxable amount should be listed in box 2(a) "Taxable Amount."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
barmerton
Returning Member

How is the taxable amount on an Office of Personnel Management form CSA 1099R box 2A says 'UNKNOWN'?

In the 2021 Turbotax it puts $0.00 in 2a and uses the short form to calculate the taxable amount, but then later says that none of the income is taxable and that skews the whole form. For instance, because I have so little income it uses the standard deduction even though I have many more deductions than that. It just seems to miss a step someewhere

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Box 2a of Form 1099-R should match whatever is shown on your paper Form 1099-R.  If it is blank, then leave it blank.  The taxable amount will be calculated based on your other entries in that section of your return.

With regard to the standard deduction being used even though you have many more itemized deductions to claim, if the bottom line income tax calculation is the same using either the standard deduction or itemized deductions, then the standard deduction will be used by TurboTax.  There is no additional benefit to using itemized deductions and no need to file unnecessary forms with your return.

@barmerton

barmerton
Returning Member

The problem is that Turbotax puts $0.00 in box 2a and even though it calculates the taxable amount it still says...all the way to the end...that none of the income is taxed. Therefore my taxable income only comes out 1450 rather than the 40k it should be. I don't know how to change that. They get all the correct information for the calculation from my previous year, so they should do it correctly. They just don't use it after they calculate it.

barmerton
Returning Member

By the way, box 2a on all CSA-1099R's is marked "unknown" which is why it is so hard to transfer to Turbotax.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

When your CSA-1099R is entered you should be sure to follow through on the questions if the amount in box 2a is zero.  The simplified method of determining the taxable amount should be selected. In order to reach that question you must answer 'No, a different amount is taxable'. See the image below.

Be prepared with the necessary information to allow TurboTax to calculate the accurate taxable amount. 

barmerton
Returning Member

I will try yet again, but Turbotax pulls the information on the simplified method from my 2020 return and shows it on the screen. It shows 12 months as the number for 2021 but then ignores it and still says it is all untaxable. (because Turbotax repaced the "Unknown" with $0.00)

Thanks for the help. 

barmerton
Returning Member

That's not what I get. It asks if the numbers in box 1 and box 2a are correct. If I say no, a note pops up and says:

"Review the numbers below and make any necessary changes.:

box 1 Gross distribution

box 2 taxable amount.  0.00

There is no way to ask for a different amount. If you try to change the 0's it takes you to a box that asks you to put in an amount. If you don't put in an amount it puts 0.00 back in. Then as you go to the next steps it shows the whole amount as untaxable.

I don't know why in a previous step it shows the simplified method filled in with all the info, but then doesn't use it.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Keep your information together with your return and put the correct taxable amount in box 2a. You can check last year's return worksheet if you aren't sure.  This should tax the appropriate taxable amount, then answer the following question 'Yes, the taxable annuity amount was used as the taxable amount ".  This will work.

The tax free amount will be the same for each month until you recover your cost. IRS Guide to US Civil Service Benefits

barmerton
Returning Member

Well, you helped me in a roundabout way. You asked me to look at my 2020 worksheet, which made me search for the 2021 worksheet, since they had shown the figures. I found it under the CSA-1099r form and lo and behold it had calculated the taxable amount. Why it didn't carry it through to the steps of the process I'll never know. It must be a bug in the program.

Thank you very much for sticking with me. It has been very frustrating, and you have been a positive light.

Ken

So if the box 2a is 'UNKNOWN' then I do not make an entry for 2A in TurboTax?

I am using the 2021 PC version.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Desktop will use the simplified method to determine the taxable portion for box 2a of your CSA 1099-R.  I presume that:

• Monthly payments were received,
  • Payments started in 2021, and
  • That box 7 is code 7.

You will need to know:

• The amount of the employee contributions (should be in box 9b),
  • The date the annuity started,
  • The number of months that payments were received in 2021, and
  • The age of the recipient.

At the screen Let's Figure Out How Much is Taxable, select I need to figure out how much of this money is taxable.

The screens will walk you through entering the appropriate information.

You will be able to view the entry under Forms on Federal 1040 lines 5a and 5b.

fivesixteen
Returning Member

I have followed you so far and TT screen I shows the following information and asks to complete only 3 boxes.  I have shown how these 3 boxes are shown and I only have info for 2 boxes (the  "Cost" info I do not know where to find, please advise:

Enter Annuity Information

Office of Personnel Management

Annuity Start Date  Learn More

11/01/2021

Cost  Learn More

"I have no idea what to enter here"

Number of Months Payments Were Received in 2021 

Question:  Would you please provide assistance on where to find this information to enter in the "Cost" box shown above.

Other info:
1)  Box 2a. (Taxable Amount) of my CSA 1099-R form shows "UNKNOWN" (not zeros or any other dollar amount).
2)  Box 9b. (Total Employee Contributions) of my CSA 1099-R form is blank (nothing entered, no zeros, not unknown, nothing).
3)  Box 14. (State Tax Withheld) of my CSA 1099-R form shows "NONE" (not zeros or any other dollar amount) (for 2 places). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies