Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How is MAGI calculated for Roth IRA

TurboTax adds back my partnership losses to my AGI to figure out MAGI.  This seems to be correct, as it's described in numerous places on the intuit site, including here: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/what-is-the-difference-between-agi-and-magi-on-y...

What I want to know is why the IRS publication doesn't mention this in its own worksheet, found here:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590a#en_US_2019_publink[phone number removed]

Does TurboTax have some other source for this calculation besides the IRS publications?  How can I know this is correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

"TurboTax adds back my partnership losses to my AGI to figure out MAGI."

Ignore that TurboTax FAQ.  It's horribly misleading by in appropriately lumping all different types of modification to AGI for the many different purposes and Intuit refuses to correct or delete it.  There is no add-back of the partnership losses in calculating MAGI for the purpose of a Roth IRA contribution and TurboTax does not do such an add-back.

Turbo Tax Premium is calculating my and my wife's combined income (married filing jointly) as only her income, and is saying this MAGI is too high for an individual to be able to contribute to a ROTH. I think the program is comparing our joint income as though it's a single person, and against the single limit ($123K) rather than the joint income limit ($193K). Can you please check the software and make an update/suggest a workaround if necessary?

TurboTax uses the correct amount.  See the "Roth IRA Contribution Limit Worksheet" line 2 that should be $193,000 for MFJ.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies