Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How do you enter a qualified charitable distribution in Turbo Tax? I have looked a prior answers which don't match up with how the 1099-R form works. Please help.

Are you getting the screen asking about transfers to charity?  If over 72, did you indicate 'entire distribution is RMD'?  If you can clarify what you're seeing, we'll try to help. 

@dmcd1b

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do you enter a qualified charitable distribution in Turbo Tax? I have looked a prior answers which don't match up with how the 1099-R form works. Please help.

I do not see an option for entering the portion of my 1099-R distribution that I directed to charitable organizations. It all appears as a gross distribution. 

It's right here

When you first enter your 1099R distribution, make sure you indicate that it as an IRA and a code in Box 7 is entered

like this

then hit next, then again next till you get to this screen

then after that, you get this screen

Good luck.

ccarnes
Returning Member

I never get to the screen that asked about a charitable donation of the IRA RMD.  I've deleted the form and downloaded it directly from the broker twice. still no question regarding a QCD.  My husband died last year, so his IRA was transfered to my IRA and our total RMD was about $30k. We had the broker send checks made out to the charities to me and I then mailed to the charities.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

If you are not getting to the charitable distribution questions in your Interview, you may need to delete the Form 1099-R you import and manually enter the information.

When you transfer part of your IRA distribution to a charity as a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD), TurboTax will take your age into account and determine if you qualify to make a QCD.  After you enter the information from your Form 1099-R which reports the distribution there will be some follow-up questions.  One of those questions will be if the distribution was transferred to a qualified charitable organization.  You can choose either all, part, or none of the distribution that was transferred.  This will take care of reporting the distribution correctly on your return.

Then, on your actual Form 1040, line 4a will include the amount of your distribution, line 4b will show any taxable amount ($0 if the entire distribution was transferred to the charitable organization), and the designation QCD will be shown on that line as well.

To Delete the Form that was imported, please follow these steps:

Follow these steps to delete your 1099-R in TurboTax.

1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. This will take you to the Review your 1099-R info screen.
  4. Select the trash can next to your 1099-R and then answer Yes.

Once you delete the form log out and clear the cache before logging back in and entering the Form manually.

Use the following steps to get started entering your Form 1099-R that reports the distribution from your IRA:

1. Go to federal>wages and income>all income
  2. Retirement plans and Social Security>show more 
  3. Ira (401K), pension plan Withdrawals(1099R) Start
  4. Navigate through this entire section. Once you entered the 1099R and reach a summary page, do not stop but press continues at the bottom of the screen. Once there, there will be more questions to answer with questions pertaining to your RMD.

See the link on how to Clear the Cache below:

How to Clear Cache

@ccarnes 

how do you enter a qualified charitable distribution in turbo tax

BillM223
Expert Alumni

First, you have to be at least 70 1/2 years of age, If you are not, then you will never seen the questions about QCDs.

Next, the 1099-R has to be from an IRA (not a 401(k) plan).

After the 1099-R form is entered, you may see questions about the origin of the IRA vis-a-vis a state.

Next, did you inherit the IRA?

Next, if you are 72 1/2, you will see after you enter the 1099-R a question about your RMD.

Next, whether or nor you see the RMD question, if you are 70 1/2 you will see the QCD question.

The most common issue is that you are not old enough, so TurboTax does not even show you the questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies