turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Asayenko

How do you count 5 calendar years for social security tax exemption? I was on J-1 from 08/14 - 05/15 and then on F-1 from 08/15 - present (a few times out of the country)

When did I become a Resident Alien? In August of 2019 or January 2019?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

How do you count 5 calendar years for social security tax exemption? I was on J-1 from 08/14 - 05/15 and then on F-1 from 08/15 - present (a few times out of the country)

You are considered as a resident alien from January 1, 2019 if you satisfy the Substantial Presence Test at that date.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Asayenko

Yes, but before you even do the substantial presence test, how do you count the 5 years of exemption? If I entered in August of 2014, do I count the whole 2014 as one calendar year? 

MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

You can be a resident alien after 5 years or part-years in the US. Those 5 years are 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies