• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wldaniell

How do we designate the quarters on our return for SE income less than $2000 to add to her quarters for social security eligibility?

I am an employee with only w-2 income.  We file jointly and will get a refund.  My spouse has a small business that produces maybe $500 a quarter of income.  How do we designate her quarters when filing our return so she will receive the social security quarter credit to be eligible for medicare in 20 years?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

How do we designate the quarters on our return for SE income less than $2000 to add to her quarters for social security eligibility?

That doesn't go anywhere on the tax form.  The Social Security administration gives 1 quarter of coverage for every $1300 of SE wages.  So she will get 1 quarter for 2017.  See this for more. https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/QC.html

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Opus 17
Level 15

That doesn't go anywhere on the tax form.  The Social Security administration gives 1 quarter of coverage for every $1300 of SE wages.  So she will get 1 quarter for 2017.  See this for more. https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/QC.html

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
wldaniell

Thank you!  I am a bit out of date.  The last time I dealt with this, I had to designate the quarter.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v