wldaniell

How do we designate the quarters on our return for SE income less than $2000 to add to her quarters for social security eligibility?

I am an employee with only w-2 income.  We file jointly and will get a refund.  My spouse has a small business that produces maybe $500 a quarter of income.  How do we designate her quarters when filing our return so she will receive the social security quarter credit to be eligible for medicare in 20 years?

That doesn't go anywhere on the tax form.  The Social Security administration gives 1 quarter of coverage for every $1300 of SE wages.  So she will get 1 quarter for 2017.  See this for more. https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/QC.html

wldaniell

Thank you!  I am a bit out of date.  The last time I dealt with this, I had to designate the quarter.