turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report excess contributions to my pre-tax 401(k) for the 2018 tax year that were withdrawn this month before the deadline?

I had an excess contribution to my 401k in 2018, which I withdrew this month before the deadline. My 1099-R won't be ready in time, so I wanted to see if anyone knew what should go where. I'm going to change the numbers to make it easier. I overcontributed $1,000, but that amount was only worth $980 when pulled out. For Box 1, "gross distribution," should that be the $980 I got or the $1,000? My understanding is Box 2a should be the full $1,000 (and then I can deduct the $20 loss in 2019). And then for Box 7 should be 8, correct (in spite of the fact that the brokerage told me P)? Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

How do I report excess contributions to my pre-tax 401(k) for the 2018 tax year that were withdrawn this month before the deadline?

You are absolutely correct.  

You should report the full $1,000 in Box 2a and use "8" for Box 7.  When you receive the 1099-R next year, you can just disregard it since you have already included it on your 2018 Tax Return.

In addition, on next year's return you can deduct the $20 “Loss on Excess Deferral Distribution".

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You are absolutely correct.  

You should report the full $1,000 in Box 2a and use "8" for Box 7.  When you receive the 1099-R next year, you can just disregard it since you have already included it on your 2018 Tax Return.

In addition, on next year's return you can deduct the $20 “Loss on Excess Deferral Distribution".

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies