Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report excess contributions to my pre-tax 401(k) for the 2018 tax year that were withdrawn this month before the deadline?

I had an excess contribution to my 401k in 2018, which I withdrew this month before the deadline. My 1099-R won't be ready in time, so I wanted to see if anyone knew what should go where. I'm going to change the numbers to make it easier. I overcontributed $1,000, but that amount was only worth $980 when pulled out. For Box 1, "gross distribution," should that be the $980 I got or the $1,000? My understanding is Box 2a should be the full $1,000 (and then I can deduct the $20 loss in 2019). And then for Box 7 should be 8, correct (in spite of the fact that the brokerage told me P)? Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

How do I report excess contributions to my pre-tax 401(k) for the 2018 tax year that were withdrawn this month before the deadline?

You are absolutely correct.  

You should report the full $1,000 in Box 2a and use "8" for Box 7.  When you receive the 1099-R next year, you can just disregard it since you have already included it on your 2018 Tax Return.

In addition, on next year's return you can deduct the $20 “Loss on Excess Deferral Distribution".

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You are absolutely correct.  

You should report the full $1,000 in Box 2a and use "8" for Box 7.  When you receive the 1099-R next year, you can just disregard it since you have already included it on your 2018 Tax Return.

In addition, on next year's return you can deduct the $20 “Loss on Excess Deferral Distribution".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies