Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I remove an IRA contribution amount on my return I am working on in Turbo tax right now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
syp_vandy

How do I remove an IRA contribution amount on my return I am working on in Turbo tax right now?

1. Click on "Federal" in the left navigation black bar.
  2. Then on the top, click "Deductions & Credits"
  3. You should see a table titled "Your tax breaks." In this table, you should have a "Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions" row. Click the "Edit" button.
  4. You should then see a checklist of types of IRAs. Uncheck the one you don't want to include and click "Continue."
  5. On the next page, you'll be asked to confirm to delete this contribution.
Wahoo1958

deselected IRA choices no delete on next page , $2000 deduction cant remove

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

To remove your entry for an IRA contribution, please follow these steps:

1. On the Deductions & Credits screen, in the Retirement and Investments section, click Revisit next to Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions.
  2. On the Traditional IRA and Roth IRA screen, click on the box to remove the check and click Continue.
  3. The next screen should ask if you want to delete the IRA contribution.  Click the Yes box.

This should remove the contribution from the return.

If you are still seeing the contribution, you can delete the IRA Contributions Worksheet, using these steps:

TurboTax Online

1. While in your return, click on Tax Tools > Tools (in the black bar at the side of your screen).  
  2. In the Tools Center, under Other helpful links click on Delete a form.
  3. Click Delete next to the form you want to delete and follow the onscreen instructions. 
  4. Once you have finished deleting the desired form(s) click the Continue with My Return box (in the lower right of your screen).

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on the form you wish to open and delete.
  3. Click on the Delete Form box at the bottom of the screen.
  4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.  

@Wahoo1958

jrbihn

I have tried following the steps specified to remove an IRA contribution, but the pop-up indicated in Step 3 does not appear asking for confirmation to delete the amount; instead, I go back and the contribution remains.

When I attempt to delete all applicable schedules (Schedule 1 and 2; Forms 5329-T and 8606-T) using the additional instructions, the forms claim to be deleted, but when I go back to the IRA contribution screen, the amount still appears. Is there an additional form I need to delete for this to work?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies