turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kacha22

How do I file for an erroneously issued RMD?

Taxes were withheld incorrectly on my RMD.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Please explain.     Not sure what you mean by the tax being incorrectly withheld.    You need to enter the 1099R as it appears and enter the tax withheld as it appears on that document.  The software will then calculate the taxable amount of your retirement income.  

To enter your retirement income, Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
kacha22

Thanks for your response. The erroneous RMD was in the form of a check from TDA. Since the law had been changed to not require RMDs be issued, I returned the check to TDA (after some discussion) for a 60-day rollover back into my account. Since TDA had sent the taxes to the IRS I did not have a way to get them back. How do I prepare my tax return (properly report/record the 1099) and get my tax money that TDA sent to the IRS back?

I'll look forward to your help/response.

Thank you,

Charles F. Swift

The tax money TD sent to the IRS is a distribution, because you did not return it to TD as part of your returned rollover within 60 days.

The distribution is taxable income. That's how it works and there's not much you can do about it.

Were you affected by COVID in 2020 in the way defined by the IRS for affected persons?

It the answer is YES, then there are things you can do if this is important to you.

When you sent the check back did you also return the tax withholding from your own money?  Doesn't sound like it.  Then that part will become a taxable distribution.  You enter the full 1099R and say you rolled over the check amount (DVD's if you put it back into the same account).  You will get credit for the withholding in box 4 on 1040 line 25b.

When you enter the 1099R be sure to say it was NOT a RMD since RMD was not required for 2020.  Then it will let you say you rolled it over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies