turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Galwaylad

How do I file a substitute 1099R using Form 4852?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

In your open return (TurboTax Deluxe Windows) switch to forms mode by clicking on View and selecting Forms. Click on Open Form.  Type 4852 in the search box then select the Form 4852 form and click Open Form button. Follow the directions at the top of the page for entering the 1099 R information.  See screenshot below.

chuckrrose
Returning Member

Did not have this problem last year... I receive a pension from an intergovernmental organization that does not use 1099-R. When you pull up the TT version of 4852, it demands "zooming" into Personal & Income Worksheets first before entering in the actual 4852, in my case, clicking on the check-box for the 1099-R linked form. But when I try to input my name and SSN, the employer's name and address, etc., in either the Worksheet or the TT version of 4852, it highlights the fields and won't take the inputs and keeps referring me back to the Worksheet that doesn't work, either.

Help!!!!  ;=)

There is NO screenshot below. There are NO directions at the top of the page for entering the 1099 R information, either.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

To use Form 4852 to prepare a substitute Form 1099-R, you go through the Form 1099-R section itself.  Choose to type in the information for the Form 1099-R instead of trying to import it.  Then, check the box showing you need to prepare a substitute Form 1099-R and follow the instructions on the screen.  

See the picture below for a visual reference:

@Frankie Goes to Bollywood

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

"To use Form 4852 to prepare a substitute Form 1099-R, you go through the Form 1099-R section itself.  Choose to type in the information for the Form 1099-R instead of trying to import it.  Then, check the box showing you need to prepare a substitute Form 1099-R and follow the instructions on the screen. "

At what point does this option appear? "Then, check the box" --- when does that show up? I'm using Turbo Premiere online. We have a set of1042-S forms (erroneously sent in place of a 1099-R, but that's a separate painful story). So I have to improvise filling out the 1099-R because the fields do not match.  When does the option to "prepare a substitute 1099-R" appear? (This option should make itself known in advance.) 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps:

1. In federal income,
  2. click on 1099-R to start/edit/update.
  3. The program says Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have
  4. List of forms shows 1099-R, CSA, RRB and asks who does the form belong to - if married.
  5. Select 1099-R and stay on page
  6. Below that, is a box that says I need to prepare a substitute 1099-R.
  7. Check the box, then continue

@PeteZagai

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies