Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter Kansas KPERS 1099-R to get AR Resident Pension Exemption?

I entered the 1099-R Information, but TT has several more boxes than I have. My 1099-R only has up to 9b. So, I left the rest blank.

But, going through the step-by-step, I am at the screen in Personal Income under Retirement that asks "Where Is This Distribution From? Kansas Public Employees."

I have selected Employer-sponsored pension plan or qualified IRA, but then there is a box for Arkansas Distribution Amount, Arkansas Withholding, and Payer's AR State ID No.  

When I go to forms, TT has automatically entered AR into the 1099-R box 15 Payer's State, but the KPERS pension is from Kansas. I am very confused.

I don't know if I'm supposed to have KS in box 15 or what to put in the empty boxes on this screen. Should I have entered Kansas in box 15 in the 1099-R even though I don't have that box on my physical form? Am I supposed to put the full amount in the ARknasas Distribution Amount, zero, or $6,000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099-R Retirement income is only taxable according to the laws in the state you live in when the $$ were sent out....not the state where it was accumulated or where it came "from".

As such, "AR" back-filled into box 15 would be appropriate...and the state distribution amount (box 16) is usually the same as the value in box 2a, OR...if 2a is empty, or "Undetermined" it is the same as the Federally-taxable portion of the  box 1 value.

Usually, if a state exempts a portion of any retirement income, it is handled separately from the 1099-R itself, sometimes it is automatic, or sometimes it is dealt with during the State interview, where it gets chopped down from the initially-entered. state distribution amount .  BUT...I don't have the AR software myself, so I don't know exactly how it ends up being dealt with the AR software.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

1099-R Retirement income is only taxable according to the laws in the state you live in when the $$ were sent out....not the state where it was accumulated or where it came "from".

As such, "AR" back-filled into box 15 would be appropriate...and the state distribution amount (box 16) is usually the same as the value in box 2a, OR...if 2a is empty, or "Undetermined" it is the same as the Federally-taxable portion of the  box 1 value.

Usually, if a state exempts a portion of any retirement income, it is handled separately from the 1099-R itself, sometimes it is automatic, or sometimes it is dealt with during the State interview, where it gets chopped down from the initially-entered. state distribution amount .  BUT...I don't have the AR software myself, so I don't know exactly how it ends up being dealt with the AR software.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies