Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter a 1099-R from a 401k if I rolled over some money to a Roth IRA, and the rest into a new 401k? How do I ensure I'm taxed on only the RothIRA rollover?

It looks like TurboTax can't split the same 1099-R for both a taxable and non-taxable rollover. How do I enter this properly?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

How do I enter a 1099-R from a 401k if I rolled over some money to a Roth IRA, and the rest into a new 401k? How do I ensure I'm taxed on only the RothIRA rollover?

You must split the Form 1099-R yourself and enter it as two Forms 1099-R, on for the portion rolled to the Roth IRA that shows the after-tax money in box 5 and the other for the portion rolled over to the the new 401(k).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

You must split the Form 1099-R yourself and enter it as two Forms 1099-R, on for the portion rolled to the Roth IRA that shows the after-tax money in box 5 and the other for the portion rolled over to the the new 401(k).

colonelar

turbo appears to be rejecting my 401k and IRA as viable retirement plans.

How should this matter be addressed

Thanks,

Al

dmertz
Level 15

colonelar, please start a new question and explain there what you mean by "rejecting your 401(k) and IRA."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies