turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lsb513

How do I calculate the taxable income on my 1099R. This is the a percentage of my ex's pension that I get per my divorce decree (I am not retired, he is).

I receive a monthly payment from my former spouse's pension. He is over 60 and retired - I am 48 and not retired. The 1099R I received has "Unknown" as the Taxable amount. I have not withheld any taxes from these payments, although $150 of my monthly disbursement is applied to my survivor benefit. I am not sure how much of the amount is taxable - and/or if I need to pay a penalty.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

How do I calculate the taxable income on my 1099R. This is the a percentage of my ex's pension that I get per my divorce decree (I am not retired, he is).

Answered in the comments.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

whats the code in Box 7 of that 1099R?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
lsb513

7-NONDISABILITY

Then no penalty applies, enter the 1099R as its shown, leave the box that says Unknown empty.
lsb513

I just realized that, on the side of the form, it says form CSA 1099R - does that make a difference?

be sure you select CSA 1099R, not a regular 1099R or the boxes may not match up.
lsb513

I did...then it asks me "Tell Us the Taxable Amount Method" - either Simplified or General Rule? Not sure which to do. When I choose Simplified it asks me for the "Plan Cost"and "Tax-Free Amount Previously Recovered" - I assume those are both 0 since I did not contribute to this plan, my ex did? And when I do that, it says the entire amount is taxable and  knocks my refund down about $2500.

@dmertz is there an adjustment that needs to be made in this situation or is all of it taxable?

Ive tagged someone more familiar with retirement situations.
lsb513

THANK YOU!
dmertz
Level 15

Only if your ex made after-tax payments to the plan would any portion of the distribution be nontaxable.  With the pension split under a QDRO, your ex's after-tax basis, if any, generally would be split in proportion to the overall split and your share of that after-tax basis would be your Plan Cost.  Since the payer doesn't seem to know if there is any after-tax basis in the plan, you would need to obtain that information from your ex.
lsb513

Thank you so much for the answer. I guarantee he did not make any after tax payments. Do I pay an early disbursement penalty because I am only 48 and not retired. It looks like TurboTax hits me with about a 25% tax on the money.
dmertz
Level 15

Code 7 means that TurboTax will not include on line 59 of Form 1040 any early-distribution penalty for this distribution.  However, the entire distribution *is* subject to ordinary income tax.
lsb513

Thank you so much for the help!
dmertz
Level 15

Answered in the comments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies