Solved: How can I bypass error checking on a dummy payer TIN on Form 4852/1099-R. I have entered 9 x 9s. This is to enter UK pension income. Successful in 2017, but not now.

How can I bypass error checking on a dummy payer TIN on Form 4852/1099-R. I have entered 9 x 9s. This is to enter UK pension income. Successful in 2017, but not now.

The IRS has changed the way they want you to report a Foreign Pension, since - as you have discovered - a "dummy" TIN will no longer work.  Therefore, you will now enter your foreign pension as "Other Income."  To enter it on your return, follow the instructions below:

• Choose the Federal return and the Wages & Income tab.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income (you may have to choose Add more income and See more income to view this topic) and Show more.
  • Choose Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  • Choose Other Reportable Income and say Yes.
  • The screen says "Do not enter income reported on Form 1099-MISC".  This is where you will enter the description "Foreign Pension" and the amount you received.

Excellent solution.  Bonus:  CA now accepts the return electronically.  In prior years a substitute 1099-R prevented this

My pleasure to assist you.  I'm glad  you don't have to mail your return!