turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

doncoats

How can i add more than 20 RMDs if they all have withholding

is there an extra page available?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have seen it said that the 20 limit is an IRS e-file limit so TurboTax matches that, but there is no IRS limit for mailed returns.  You can combine boxes as long as the box 7 codes are the same and enter as a single 1099-R, but if they have box 4 withholding, all of the 1099-R's should be physically attached to a mailed tax return.

Just like a mailed return,  W-2's and 1099's that have tax withholding must be attached to a mailed tax return and sent with the tax return.   1099's without withholding are not.   e-file is the same.  Nothing on a 1099-R's that has no withholding gets sent to the IRS except the totals that appear on lines 15a/b & 16a/b, but is there is withholding (in box 4) then all of the 1099-R information gets sent to the IRS so a combined box 4 will not match any 1099-R submitted by the payer and will probably result in a letter from the IRS.

The letter (if it comes) can probably just be answered by submitting copies of the 1099-R forms showing that the totals of box 4 match what was reported, but per IRS rules, each 1099-R with box 4 withholding is *supposed* to be sent separately which cannot be done with TurboTax if there are more then 20.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I have seen it said that the 20 limit is an IRS e-file limit so TurboTax matches that, but there is no IRS limit for mailed returns.  You can combine boxes as long as the box 7 codes are the same and enter as a single 1099-R, but if they have box 4 withholding, all of the 1099-R's should be physically attached to a mailed tax return.

Just like a mailed return,  W-2's and 1099's that have tax withholding must be attached to a mailed tax return and sent with the tax return.   1099's without withholding are not.   e-file is the same.  Nothing on a 1099-R's that has no withholding gets sent to the IRS except the totals that appear on lines 15a/b & 16a/b, but is there is withholding (in box 4) then all of the 1099-R information gets sent to the IRS so a combined box 4 will not match any 1099-R submitted by the payer and will probably result in a letter from the IRS.

The letter (if it comes) can probably just be answered by submitting copies of the 1099-R forms showing that the totals of box 4 match what was reported, but per IRS rules, each 1099-R with box 4 withholding is *supposed* to be sent separately which cannot be done with TurboTax if there are more then 20.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
doncoats

so this means I cannot efile?

You cannot e-file more than 20 1099-R's unless you combine them.
doncoats

I am otherwise ready to submit my files to IRS, but have not tabbed on to do that.  As I proceed, will Tubo give me the option to e-file or print out and mail so my extra 1099-Rs can be included?
Will there be an extra form with which I can do that?

When you file using the file tab, you can either e-file or choose to print for mail filing.  If you print for mail filing then only the totals of the 1099-R's go on the 1040 form so it is OK to combine the box totals including box 4 since you attach the actual 1099-R's to the mailed return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies