How are employer contributions to HSA entered on tax return when only have 1099r, I get no w-2 as I am retired

Are you newly retired? Retirees actually get W2s for this, showing no wages and an amount in Box 12 for the HSA contributions. Please inquire with your former employer.

I do  not get a w-2 , retired federal employee, retired in 2013.  I only get a 1099r

How is your former employer accounting for this HSA contribution with the IRS?

Is there something in Box 5 of your 1099R? Are they paying it from your money, or literally paying it for you?

box 5 does not add up to anything I can understand. I assumed it was the amount of my health insurance premiums I pay thru them

I'll look into how or where you would report HSA contributions after employment. I have seen it on a W2 before, but understand that's not your situation.

How'd you account for this last year, out of curiosity?

I did not account for it, but it strikes me that it should be considered part of my hsa contributions.  I did calculate the box 5 and it is the sum of my health insurance premiums that I paid

I'm going to think about it- answer won't be right away. If you didn't do it through payroll, didn't make the contributions yourself, no W2.. there's no easy way to input that. A deduction for money you didn't pay? Questionable. Maybe someone else will jump in in the meantime.

I think I may understand it now.  The payments are made on my behalf from the Gov't ( my employer) and do not show up as 'income' anywhere, so they are already effectively tax free contributions. This must be the answer

True, though generally HSA contributions are reported on a return, even if pretax. This completes Form 8889. I've seen the retiree W2s. Either way, you couldn't have the deduction. Just seems odd to have no reporting to the IRS of your participation in an HSA.

When no longer employed and your employer continues to contribute to an HSA on your behalf, you may or may not receive a W2. However, the contributions belong on line 9 of the Form 8889 all the same. If you didn't get the W2, do the following in Turbo Tax:

1. Go to Federal Taxes- (Personal) Deductions and Credits-Medical-1099-SA/HSA.
  2. Continue through the HSA screens until you get to Lets Enter your HSA Contributions. Make sure you enter nothing in those fields.
  3. On the screen Did your employer tell you about any other contributions? Say Yes 
  4. On the next screen, enter the contributions within Employer and Payroll not reported in Box 12
  5. Continue through the screens to describe your insurance coverage

This will complete the Form 8889 and report the contributions. You won't have a deduction, but you will properly report.