Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HELP! Can’t remove incorrect SEP donation amount for TurboTax Online Self-Employed version

HELP! 

I can’t remove incorrect SEP donation amount for TurboTax Online Self-Employed version?  Tried three different ways  to remove the donation amount, none work. Thanks in advance.

2nd turbotax community post about How do I remove this incorrect SEP donation amount.docx,jpg.jpg

2nd turbotax community post about How do I remove this incorrect SEP donation amount.docx,jpg2.jpg

Snap3.jpg

@tagteam

@VolvoGirl

@DanaB

@dmertz

@fanfare

@MinhT1

#HELP #STUCK #SEPDonation

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

HELP! Can’t remove incorrect SEP donation amount for TurboTax Online Self-Employed version

Alternatively, you can delete the Keogh, SEP and SIMPLE Contributions Worksheet (Keogh/SEP Wks) to remove all self-employed retirement entries.  In the online version of TurboTax, click Tax Tools -> Tools -> Delete a form, then click the Delete link next to the the name of the form.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can remove that entry, but you have to take out the number that you entered and then backtrack to answer the first question No. 

This is how to do that:

1. Open your return and select Federal on the left side menu.
  2. Select  Wages & Income, scroll down to Other Business Situations, expand the section.
  3. Find Self-Employment Retirement Plans, select Revisit to the right.
  4. Answer the first question No and the second question Yes.
  5. If a joint return, select which of you entered the contribution and click Continue. 
  6. On the screen Your Contributions, delete the numbers, leaving everything blank.
  7. Click Back in the lower left hand corner until you get back to Self-Employed Retirement Plans. 
  8. Answer the question No.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Alternatively, you can delete the Keogh, SEP and SIMPLE Contributions Worksheet (Keogh/SEP Wks) to remove all self-employed retirement entries.  In the online version of TurboTax, click Tax Tools -> Tools -> Delete a form, then click the Delete link next to the the name of the form.

Thanks

But I had tried all that, numerous times. I had to delete the form as the next person commented.

I found on in the Home and Business version that if I checked the "Maximize Contribution"
 box, it left that number in the calculations even if you said NO to the questions about actually contributing. I finally (per the above comments) went to the the SEP/Keogh form and unchecked the "maximize" box, which zeroed everything out.  An odd lack of coordination between the different sections of their questions. 

dmertz
Level 15

Unfortunately, this undesirable behavior of TurboTax has caught many people out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies