• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
legar7799

Hello, Good morning. i have a question about retirement plans. i contribute to a 401(a ) plan. can i use that as a deduction? thank you

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Hello, Good morning. i have a question about retirement plans. i contribute to a 401(a ) plan. can i use that as a deduction? thank you

Your contribution to a 401(a) plan is a permanent reduction of your salary, with the reduction amount being invested on your behalf by the employer into a money-purchase pension plan. There is nothing for you to deduct, since your salary has already been reduced. You will pay tax on withdrawals when you retire, since the money was not taxed during the time of your employment.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Your contribution to a 401(a) plan is a permanent reduction of your salary, with the reduction amount being invested on your behalf by the employer into a money-purchase pension plan. There is nothing for you to deduct, since your salary has already been reduced. You will pay tax on withdrawals when you retire, since the money was not taxed during the time of your employment.

Privacy Settings
v